Thursday, April 17, 2008

Current Issue - 16/4/08

Normally I only joint down my feeling, my stories, my family’s stories…. I believe I need to write some post on current issues for my 2 girls to know what’s going on…during their mummy’s time… If our current issues are not resolved, I’m sure it will imply on our next generation’s life in the future.

I can’t really remember exactly since when I pay attention to food crisis that is worsening nowadays… It all started with a news reported that there are shortage in supply for milk powder in China & Hong Kong not long ago, probably last month? That time, I was like – nothing to do with me cause my 2 girls can still live without milk. Recently I heard news over the radio saying that there is insufficient rice/padi storage in Philipines, Thailand, Vietnam etc (mostly those padi exporting countries) mainly due to climate change. Aha…this is more relevant to me, how do we Asian live without rice?

Yesterday, there was also news from UN Secretary-General Mr Ban Ki Moon, seeking ways to raise fund in order to help the poorest countries. If I understand correctly, it sounds like even though the gap between the rich and the poor have been minimize, it doesn’t mean that the poor is getting any better. This is due to the recent steep rise in food prices. My thought was: What? Again about food shortage!!!

The above news really knock me on my head yesterday, is all related to insufficient of food supply & lead to food price increase over the past few years. The main reason is all back to the climate change. Now we not only need to deal with increase price in petrol, we need to also face the problem of food crisis. Maybe we are lucky to live in Malaysia, because we do not expose to major climate change. Even though we are not badly affected by the reduction of crops, but I’m sure thousands of million out there are starving & struggling to get the basic food to survive each day. (Thanks God, that we are being blessed with sufficient food and please help those who need Your help too!)

There was this Chinese Saying “Shui Zhi Pan Zong Can, Li Li Jie Xin Ku” – meaning, who will appreciate the effort that have put in in each & everyone of the rice that served on your plate
This is to remind that we shouldn’t waste any of the food. So the next round when you are ordering fried rice or chicken rice or mixed rice, try to request for a reduce potion (if you are a small eater) so that there wouldn’t be anything left behind…
Please also do our little part to conserve the world. I’m sure you know what I mean – those recycling, reduce air-con usage and blah blah blah….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi Kelly, agree with you, I always feel "sayang" whenever I saw rice were wasted. I always advise my kids to finish all their food...