Tuesday, April 29, 2008

How to make your kid CLEAN UP after play...

After leaving comments in this post, reached home I get this…

When is time to clear up, I gave them a plastic bag each and told them “Let’s have some fun! Let’s see today who can keep more Alphas & numbers in her plastic bag.”
Without screaming, they started to clear the mess.

Within few seconds….tada…All Done!

Try turn the clean up session into a competition and you will be surprise to see the pride on your kid when he/she keep more than his/her counterpart! Look at my 2 girls and you will know what I mean.

Sometimes, we sing Barney’s Clean-Up song while we clean up. It goes like this…
Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody Everywhere;
Clean Up, Clean Up, Everybody Do Your Share!

I will lead the song in progressive mode, start with slow tempo, then medium, then fast! Is fun!! Also within minutes, the space is cleared!

Sometimes, after much coax & nagging, if my 2 girls still don’t clean up. Then I will start picking up the toys & put in the storage box. After picking up few pieces, I will pretend I strain my back & start moaning: ouch here ouch there… (drama a bit lah). Then I will ask for help from my 2 darling! And they will do the rest. Little trick for great success!

Hope the above give you some idea dealing with your little ones when they refuse to clean up after the play session. Let me know whether it works for you!

18 comments:

Angeleyes said...

Hahahha! Thanks Kelly for the post. I hope I have 2 kids so I can get them to compete. In fact I tried this method, let Darrius compete with me but he just stood there looking at me!

I have a lazy bum and a non sympathetic one... if i pretend I fell down he will just laugh! Unlike your girls will buy the story.

Must go find other methods... :P Maybe must send him to school and let the teacher piak piak him! haaha

Chinneeq said...

kelly ah...i oni got one qiqi wor...furthermore i can't squart down to pick with her, how to compete ler?

Anonymous said...

I like to sing Barney's clean-up song too to make Qianyi put away her toys. She won't do it if she doesn't have the mood and she won't allow me to clean up for her. So, sometimes, my place is really messy.

yapthomas said...

"After picking up few pieces, I will pretend I strain my back & start moaning: ouch here ouch there… (drama a bit lah). Then I will ask for help from my 2 darling! And they will do the rest. Little trick for great success!"

Ahahha.. nice trick.. and great kids you have here.. :)

Anonymous said...

kelly, I think gals are better in this case.
with my boy, sometime his little sister who was only 18months helped him to clean up the toys, sigh...

you can check out the video here:
http://martini-khoo.blogspot.com/2007/12/xin-yi-turns-18-months.html

X'tina said...

you have 2 super adorable girls lar...envy you cos I have no girls....all boys... lol

Mommy to Chumsy said...

ooo..very clever!!!! I used to sing that barney song to ashley and she would do some cleaning up. but now? she just runs away :(

Anonymous said...

Clever Kelly, good idea for me! i will used it.

JK said...

Good idea but after some time, they get bored about it. When you have boys, you got to think harder. Sigh!!

JK said...

A tag for you:

http://www.lovechildrenright.com/2008/05/fabulous-friday-five-meme.html

laundryamah said...

competition helps in eating too! good to have siblings who are not too far in age difference.

chanelwong said...

great way to train them since young...if not you will be forever busy cleaning up toys for them...

The Blue Ranger said...

let me try first

JK said...

Please read this:

http://www.lovechildrenright.com/2008/05/used-cloth-diapers-for-sales.html

See if you are interested.

Hazel said...

this is a good way, and ur girl look clever

Leena said...

Kids just love praises and rewards, I did the same with Shern, lots of BRIBING to get him to clear the toys. hehee.

I've got a tag for you at my other blog. Come tag along.
http://inmypyjamas.blogspot.com/2008/05/friends-around-world.html

Bookwormz said...

My old school in Johor used to use the same Barney song to urge children to start tidying up for another lesson.

De'Little Ones said...

hmnnn... where are you? kinda miss u. hope u r alright & well