Friday, April 25, 2008

Am I pushing too hard?

Wah! Is like a knock on my head after reading this post... perhaps this is written for me... ;) Anyway, thanks for your sharing. This mummy is terrific/marvelous. I learn a lot from her without her knowing. Thanks & many thanks. You are just like my sifu (guru) in parenting. I am trying hard to turn my house to a Montessori home tooo…. But guess there’s still a long way to go!

Xuan just turn 4 last March. I don't know since when she can write, she can imitate quite well, I think she can imitate 70% of the Alpha both capital & small. Actually I don't know which alpha she can write as I don't track but my feeling is like she can write quite a lot. Xuan Xuan also can write from 0-7 of the numeric of cause sometimes she does mix it up, like 'b' write as 'd' for the numeric (the mirror effect kind of error) this happen to number 3 & 5. She picks up writing all by herself. I don't really sit down with her teaching her how to write, I don't have the patience, sadly to say!

I started her with writing her name (Xuan) only, when she was 3.5yo (I think) and that also upon her request. She always wants to write her name on whatever scribbles that are done by her. To me, Xuan's progress is terrific as she's only 4 & she can do so much. That is the main reason why I don't do serious homework with her. No question, me too is for kid learn best through play... tapi recently, I found Xuan is very lacking, she always want me to do craft with her. I hardly see her scribbles on alpha or numbers, but more on Monster drawing, will blog abt it soon. Worse is when I asked her whether is there any homework, she will straight away say “No” or “Can you please check on my beg?”. I was like “HAR???” *scratching on my head*

I started her with the 'homework concept' because I want to plant the seed of 'homework=her own responsibility' in her. I don't want to be like my own mom, every time has to take the rotan out to discipline her child for homework (that’s me), that one can really vomit blood, mannnn....

Xuan preschool is one of those ‘relax’ type. Even after 4 months of schooling, she only has 1 or most 2 pages of homework to do over the weekend. During weekday, no homework at all. I started Xuan with 'homework’ in the hope that she can be more responsible on her own work, of cause I don't expect perfect writing over the homework, but sometimes I purposely erase some of her work & make her redo.. Be it in school life, work life, we can't escape from rework/redo. That's the fact of life. This is because I want her to be ready with the ‘redo’ situation. If you have to rework, you have to rework, and please do to it with an open heart, and don’t blame. If you really don't want to redo, just do it right the first time, is just that simple.

To me, Parenting is the most difficult subject in my entire 32 years of life. Parenting is not all about growing an academic excellence child but is about growing a child who is equipped with good etiquette/moral/personality and whatever surviving skills that you can think of in order to survive in this increasingly challenging world. I would believe that you have the same thought as mine??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly, I have a tag for you:
http://martini-khoo.blogspot.com/2008/04/worldwide-link-love-tag.html

You are not alone. My boy who has been 1y+ in preschool, still need me to chack her bag everyday, sigh...

Chinneeq said...

kelly, close one eye la...after all they are only 4 now :)

Moo Mummy said...

Kelly, same as mummy to qiqi, close 1 eye la. 4 yrs old only, motoring skill just only developing. Still remember to do homework, adn can write is very good liao. Don't push her too much or she will gave up after go to primary school.
Good to share our parenting through blog! sigh...

Kelly said...

Martini
yo cool! I'm not alone!

mummy to qiqi/ moo mommy
ya ya they are only 4! let them enjoy to the fullest then only torture her when she gets older...good idea!!

De'Little Ones said...

no need to push them. let them learn by themselves and if you want to teach, just teach 1 or 2 when they are half way drawing or coloring or doing craft. Let them enjoy playing.