Friday, December 14, 2007

Any idea dealing with stubborn toddler?

Yesterday night, my little Wen Wen really drives me up to the ROOF! Is 10.30pm, bedtime, after changing my Xuan Xuan, I called my Wen Wen. Calling after calling, she ignored me, she continued with her play. I started to yell & telling her if she doesn’t want to change now, I will no longer change pyjamas for her. She ignored me again. My flush of blood shoots up to my brain! I threw her pyjamas on her bed and I go to my bed & I try shutting my eyes. Hah! Here comes my Wen Wen crying & screaming “Mommy! Mommy!” I ignore her at first. The longer I ignore her, the louder she cried until my Xuan Xuan told me to change for her as she can’t sleep because is noisy.

I am struggling within myself: If I were to give in, for sure Wen Wen will ignore me whenever she feels like she wants to, because end of the day she still gets what she wants … If I don’t give in, it is so unfair to my Xuan Xuan to bear the noise! How How how??? I think hard, real hard.

After a while, I finally give in, I change her with her pyjamas. I told her & I reason out with her. I don’t think she understand… I really don’t know how to deal with her..Xuan Xuan is so so so much easy to manage but not Wen Wen. Guess I will have to wait a little longer before Wen Wen can understand…

Word to Xuan Xuan: You are such a sweet girl and always listen to mommy & daddy. When u reach teenage, hopefully you will still wanna listen to your mommy & daddy. We love you.

Word to Wen Wen: You are very stubborn & always do thing at your own pace. Hopefully your persistent can bring you far on…
I really hope that you will becomes a more reasonable toddler/teenage soon! We love you too!

5 comments:

Jess said...

my second girl also stubborn, all due to me too soft for her. Hubby ask me to be more stern with her when come to disciplinary. I need time to do that...

TheBlueRanger said...

probably it's because she's now in the terrible-two stage? hopefully this will pass very soon.

Kelly said...

Jesslyn,
Is not the matter of stern or not with my Wen Wen but she is very selective in terms of listerning. I really run out of idea to deal with her... hopefully she will be better when she grows!

theblueranger,
Yah, hopefully this stage will pass soonest!

JK said...

Kelly,

Try seeing it in this way: Wen Wen might be concentrating on something and is reluctant to leave before she finished. I see this in my kids and sometimes, it's just because they don't hear me when I call them.

So, I would walk to them, touch them and tell them what I want to say and make sure they hear and understand.

You may wanna try this because the kids may not be stubborn but it may be our approach that is wrong.

When we, adults are concentrating on our work and somebody calls us, do you think we hear him? Even if we hear, can we leave our work immediately and go to him? I think it's difficult, right?

Kelly said...

Thanks Jo-N for sharing!
I find that you & Frank really have the patience dealing with kids... I'm on the way joining the group (the patience group)!!