Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Observation - Xuan Xuan's pre-school!

Schools suppose to be a fun place for children to enjoy their childhood. However this doen’t happens to my Xuan Xuan. I couldn’t bring myself to see my Xuan Xuan suffer anymore with schooling! I have made up my mind to take a half day leave today to check out her life in school. I want to know what kind of encounter/experience that she’s having in school that make her so uncomfortable & reluctant to go to school.

Below are my observations:

1. Most of the children are very active & noisy + naughty (Sorry, Im not saying my Xuan Xuan is good but those children can climb up to the table when teacher is teaching, some go under the table, another one always put his feet on the table…there are more than these but these are few that is prevailing to me.)
2. About 40% of the time, teacher is shouting & screaming at the children for disciplinary issue like ‘quiet’, ‘sit down’, ‘don’t play now’, ‘get down from the table’ etc…
3. All teachers are converse in mandarin 95% of the time. I’m not saying that converse in mandarin not good, but I feel that it is so unfair to those children who can’t really comprehend mandarin. In my Xuan Xuan’s class, there is another boy who can’t speak mandarin like Xuan Xuan. When teacher is talking, half of the time he is either not listening or talking to my Xuan Xuan. All teachers know Xuan Xuan & the boy can’t speak mandarin, teachers can at least translate some of the mandarin to English. Very disappointing that they are doing very minimal on this. Teacher only speaks English when she wants to teach English. That also she is speaking very minimal English as she gives instruction in mandarin. I wonder if Xuan Xuan continue in that preschool, is it healthy? Can Xuan Xuan really learn when she can’t comprehend what the teacher has to say?
4. I estimated that there are about 90 students & there are only 4 teachers in charge. Maybe I’m demanding, but teacher to student ratio is at the high side 1:22.5. The situation gets worse when 1 out of the 4 teachers is a new teacher. I saw with my own eyes that this new teacher herself need guidance & I can sense that she really doesn’t have the flair in teaching. Hardly can she control the class. If she can’t control the class, how do I expect her to teach the class?
5. Even though there are only about 13 pupils in Xuan Xuan’s class, but to me that doesn’t mean that the 4 years old children don’t warrant an assistant. Maybe I pamper Xuan Xuan too much, but I strongly feel that 4 years old is still too young to be independent & can hardly take instruction! There are few incidents that when the children in Xuan Xuan’s class been to toilet, there wasn’t anybody guiding them even though the toilet is just besides the class. End up the children are playing water inside the toilet. As usual, the teacher is just screaming & scolding the children. Are the children at fault first?
6. Hygienic issue. Not to say I discriminate about pets but there’s a particular wild dog keep running into the pre-school. Is a wild dog WILD DOD! I don’t think any of teachers in charge to clean up this dog. There are times when the children screaming & running away from this dog only the teacher chase the dog away. Sometimes the teacher just ties this dog under a tree & I don’t see that the teacher washes her hands after handling the dog.
7. Another example of unhygienic scenario.
End of the period, the English teacher was giving out stickers to all children as a token to encourage them to participate during class activity. This is very good I should say. But you won’t believe how disgusting it is on the way she gave out the stickers. She requested saliva from each kid by saying “Give me your saliva.” & she taught each kid to show their tongue then she put the sticker on their tongue in order to get it wet then stick the sticker on the kids’ forehead! OMG! What an old school thought!! What is she trying to do!!! I don’t know when she bought those stickers, from where she bought those stickers & I am also not sure whether the adhesive is eatable. Would you send your kid to this school when you see this happen to your kid?? I doubt so…

There are more negative observations than those listed above… I’m now seriously thinking about changing a pre-school for my Xuan Xuan.

13 comments:

Montessorimum said...

OMG, I cannot believe and imagine the teacher actually put the sticker on the kids tongue. From what you have written and your observation, this school doesn't seems to be worth staying on. Follow your instinct, listen to your heart.

Hazel said...

a simple tag for u hope u like it

Anonymous said...

wow, u observe so many thing in just few days!

I cannot accept No. 7 too, so dirty! Aiks!

Anonymous said...

CHANGE FAST!!! what a @#%*TJH%CK school! no disciplined, no hygined, no system, no way man!!

esther

Mommy Lose Weight said...

maybe you should source around for xuan xuan again. good luck!

TheBlueRanger said...

I do not agree with their approach in teaching as I think a 4-yr old kid should not be forced to concentrate. If the teacher knows that the students are not paying attention, she should attract them with more creative teaching method and not scolding them. I think pre-school should be fun, fun & fun to instill good image about schooling to the kids.

Seriously, I don't think you should continue sending Xuan Xuan there.

Angeleyes said...

Oh dear! How come liddat? You never observe the school before enrolling??? I guess it's better to re-look at that school and change will be unavoidable if so many negative stuff appeared!

Unknown said...

huh? what preschool is that? OMG, u better search for another one quick.. it's really not healthy in that kind of environment..

Leena said...

oh my. that saliva thingy! tak boleh tahan. furthermore, you were there and yet the teacher cannot bring herself to behave like bit more professional.

give a serious thought about changin xuan xuan to another pre-school.

Chinneeq said...

wah...first time i hear about kids climbing up table, under neath. Where got such school one? Tht shows the incapability of the teachers and management. Change la...dont want xuan xuan to be like that also.

De'Little Ones said...

I think you should go to other pre-schools quickly to do observation and comparation. Change her pre-school only if you think it is suitable to her & you. Don't keep changing otherwise she may feel confusion and hate schooling. By the way I dropped you an email.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

oh dear...that's so unhygenic. Do let me know which kindy so i won't send mine there next time..hehhehe

Chinneeq said...

Kelly, can't get you on your chat.

1. A qualified preschool should be able to control their kids fully, and if the kids go wild, meaning something is wrong with the school.

2. Shouting all time is a bad example for the kids. They will soon learn to shout and scream when communicate later.

3. Main communication language. It all depends in the school. Kelly, some very good school like Sri Soka uses mandarin as their main communication language. Their English is horrible. U should have check before u enroll.

4. From my survey, right ratio shud be 2teachers:20kids. Sri Soka is fantastic that they have 3 teachers :24 students.

5. School should not encourage kids to access to the tap in toilet. Their class got mini basin so must come back to wash (before & after eat).

6. That dog thing, unacceptable!

7. And the saliva thing, enough reason for your to take one day leave and go visit other schools now.

6.